Monday, September 25, 2006

All 'Crossed Up

It is hard not to get caught up in the hype. I mean the leaves are turning (fast here in the Hight Country), it is getting cooler outside (it snow here in the High Country), and it seems to be on everyone's lips. I am talking about Cyclo-cross. This weekend marked the first weekend of serious 'cross-racing around the world. From the hallowed grounds of Belgium, and other European venues, to the East-coast, mid-west and our own ACA series here in Colorado, racers are going for it. I kind of feel like that nervous kid before a big exam, "did I study hard enough???" To late know for sure, nothing I do know will change my results come next weekend @ the Boulder Series race and on through to the USGP's, I guess just grab a wheel and hang on! We actually set part of our course on Saturday for some training races, and yep, it hurts!

But 'cross has much more of a following here in Colorado. So many people I have spoken to that don't even race are looking or have bought recently a 'cross bike. Why? Access. I mean it goes where you want it to. Sandi & I have have done some great 'cross rides, up and over Ohio Pass, out around Mill Creek and even at Hartman Rocks. This is one of the best times of the year to ride, and what better way than aboard a cyclo-cross rig that can take you a ways down the highway, flying up dirt roads, and even flow down singletrack?

These bikes are quiver killers, virtually emliminating the need for a road bike, a geared mtb (I mean, you do need a single speed...), and if you opt for a single speed cross bike, you instantly have a track bike as well... If I had to choose right now, I would pick my cross bike over all others.

Get out there, enjoy the colors, break out the cowbells and scream your head off at a local cross event.

1 comment:

Colin Osborn said...

I like the matter of fact, "you need a single speed"
Partly because its very true.